Sharp Type is a digital type foundry based in New York City. The foundry produces custom & retail typefaces for print, digital, and environmental design– for brands, design houses, and publications. Sharp Type designs typefaces with utility and beauty for the modern era.
Lucas Sharp, co-founder, typeface designer
Sharp has been recognized for his typefaces by prestigious institutions such as the Type Director's Club, and Communication Arts, and has designed typefaces for major brands and organizations including Pentagram, Samsung, and most recently, Hillary Clinton's 2016 Presidential Campaign.
Chantra Malee, co-founder, vice-president
After receiving a BBA in Design and Management, Malee worked in branding in New York City. She co-founded Sharp Type with Lucas Sharp in 2015, where she handles strategy, brand management, graphic design, sales and communication.
Josh Finklea, collaborator, typeface designer
Josh Finklea studied and received a Bachelor of Fine Arts in graphic design at Art Center College of Design in 2012. He worked in Los Angeles and Amsterdam, and is currently based in New York City. His first typeface release, Post Grotesk, has been featured in creative works by designers at Pentagram and other influential design firms.
Connor Davenport, typeface designer
Davenport is a recent grad of Maryland Institute College of Art where he received a BFA in Graphic Design. Davenport has worked with prestigious agencies such as Pentagram and Milk Studios. His latest font, Garnett, is due to release with Sharp Type in 2018.
- Hillary Clinton 2016
- Royal Danish Theater
- Time Inc.
- Condé Nast
- Abigail Kirsch
- Darden Studio
- La Repubblica
- Library of Congress
- Virgin Voyages
Awards and Clients
- 2018 Communication Arts Annual Typography Competition Winner for Beatrice Display
- 2018 Gold European Design Award for Most Original Typeface for Respira
- 2017 TDC Certificate of Typographic Excellence for Sharp Grotesk
- 2017 Communication Arts 7th Annual Typography Competition Winner for Sharp Grotesk
- 2016 Print Magazine Typography Merit Winner for Frauen
- 2015 Communication Arts 5th Annual Typography Competition Winner for Ogg
- 2014 TDC Certificate of Typographic Excellence for Ogg